- About Gabapentin
- Gabapentin side effects
- Gabapentin side effects when misused
- When to consult a doctor?
Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant(1) drug. This drug prevents chronic seizures in people who have epilepsy. However, Gabapentin is not considered a cure for epilepsy but is a short-term alternative to control your seizures. Besides this, Gabapentin is also used in adults to get rid of severe nerve pains after shingles. Even though it is not that dangerous, there are a series of Gabapentin side effects that one must keep in mind before taking this medicine. Gabapentin is exceptionally safe if it is used as prescribed by your doctor. But when overused, Gabapentin side effects may increase alarmingly.
Gabapentin side effects:
As mentioned above, Gabapentin comes with a few side effects that people should have some basic knowledge about. Here are the Gabapentin side effects.
- This drug can give you abnormal eye movements, which are uncontrollable, back-and-forth, and rolling movements.
- Gabapentin may also give constipation to its users.
- Diarrhea is one of the most common Gabapentin side effects.
- Difficulty speaking or frequent stuttering.
- Gabapentin may induce drowsiness or may tire you.
- A parched mouth.
- Another one of the most common Gabapentin side effects is nausea.
- May cause a vomiting sensation or vomiting.
Besides this, there are other much more severe Gabapentin side effects that you should know. However, these side-effects are not that common. Hence, if you are suffering from any psychiatric disorder, it is advised to take a look at these side effects.
- Gabapentin may induce violent behaviors, uncontrolled anger, and aggressiveness.
- An increase in the anxiety level and restlessness.
- If you are suffering from anxiety, Gabapentin may worsen it.
- One of the most severe Gabapentin side effects includes frequent panic attacks.
- Suicidal thoughts or similar behavior.
- Insomnia or trouble sleeping at night.
If you experience any of these Gabapentin side effects, it is crucial to call your doctor right away.
Gabapentin may cause a severe allergic reaction in your body, which may even be life-threatening. However, this allergic reaction is infrequent. Here are some of the early signs for this Gabapentin side effects.
- A serious skin rash
- Hives all over your body.
- Having trouble breathing or breathlessness.
- A high fever
- Gland or lymph node swelling that does not reduce.
- Swelling of your tongue, throat, lip, or face.
- Yellowing of your skin, or even in the eyes.
- Unusual and frequent bleeding and bruising.
- A sudden and unexpected muscle pain.
If you experience any of these side-effects, it is essential to call your doctor right away. Call for an ambulance if you think these symptoms can be life-threatening.
Gabapentin side effects when misused :
Gabapentin does not induce the same side effects as other drugs when often abused, such as benzodiazepines, or opiates. However, cases of Gabapentin misuse are reported. Gabapentin may even induce withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms are
- A rapid heart rate or arrhythmia
- Continuous sweating.
However, these withdrawal symptoms are results of one of the Gabapentin side effects when misused or overused.
Most of the people who misused the drug had a well-known history of drug abuse or used Gabapentin to reduce the withdrawal symptoms from other medications. Hence, if you have a history of substance abuse or are facing a lot of Gabapentin side effects, please call your doctor right away or talk to them about drug addiction.
When to consult a doctor?
If you are facing a lot of Gabapentin side effects,consult your doctor and note down all the necessary precautions to avoid these side effects.
- Ask your doctor about the diet you should follow, or about exercising to maintain your body weight.
- It is advised not to drive or operate machinery until you have a clear impression on Gabapentin and its side effects.
- Talk to your pharmacist about any other medication that reduces the Gabapentin side effects on your body.