- What is the hotel management?
- Hotel Management courses
- How to apply?
- Required set of skills
- Hotel Management Jobs
- Hotel Management Colleges
The hospitality industry is on the rise. The surge of social media has changed, traveling from a luxury to a hobby. This has benefited the hotel industry, which now requires more staff to fulfill the need. As the competition is fierce, the team needs to be diligent, meticulous, and full of patience to deal with various guests. Now the questions that arise are from where can we recruit such a staff? Or how to become a part of this industry? The answer is Hotel Management graduates. In this article, we will uncover what is Hotel Management and how to enter the hospitality business in India.
What is Hotel Management?
Every big organization needs management. Every industry goes through evolution and is required to be updated with the latest trends, and who manages this change? The hotel industry is evolving every day; it will produce 80 million jobs in the next decade. Managers. The same goes for the hotel industry. Managing a hotel consists of responsibilities such as finance, planning, catering, service, and many more. A hotel manager needs to be a leader, with tons of patience. You need to have an eye for details as well as the bigger picture. You have to make sure your staff is working smoothly and in coordination with other departments. You might encounter daily obstacles that are solved by patience. You will communicate more inside the organization rather than the guests. Thus, if you want to be a leader, then join the hospitality industry.
Hotel Management Courses
Globalization has affected the management industry. The students of hotel management require knowledge of different cultures, places, and personalities of guests. An increase in the demand for hotels increases the need for Hotel Management graduates. These graduates have to work in various departments such as Front Office, Housekeeping, Catering, Public Relations, Marketing, and Accounting. The following courses can help you to gain knowledge of these domains of work.
Like every other course, you can get a bachelor’s degree in Hotel Management and a Master’s degree in Hotel Management.
Undergraduate in Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Hotel Management: BHM is a three-year course that is usually joined by students after passing class 12th. It teaches them necessary skills like front office, operations, business communication. The course has practical subjects, along with theory.
- Bachelor in Hotel Management and Catering Technology: It is a four-year course. The students get trained in various domains of hotel management, along with particular attention to food and beverages. It prepares the student for industrial experience.
- BSc in Hotel/Hospitality management: It is a three-year course offered by all IHMs. Its curriculum teaches the set of skills required by students to use in the industry.
Some other undergraduate courses are BA in Hospitality and Travel and BBA in Hospitality, Travel, and Tourism. For Master’s courses such as Master of Hotel Management (MHM), Master in Tourism and Hotel Management (MTHM), MBA in Hotel Management, MBA in Hospitality Management, MSc Tourism, and Hospitality Management, and MBA Hospitality.
Along with these degrees, a Hotel Management aspirant can pursue certificate and diploma programs in Hotel/ Hospitality Management such as Diploma in Hotel Management, Diploma in Hospitality Management, Diploma in Housekeeping, Diploma in Aviation Hospitality and Travel Management, Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Certificate course in Hotel and Hospitality Management and the likes. Various colleges in India offer these courses.
How to apply for the Hotel Management courses?
There is an eligibility criterion for Hotel Management courses given below.
To pursue a Hotel Management degree at the Undergraduate Level, you need to be a 12th standard pass out students from a recognized board. Most of the colleges make it mandatory for the student to have passed English as a core subject. To pursue a PG course, applicants need to be graduates, and colleges preferred students with an undergraduate degree in Hotel/Hospitality Management. They should have secured 55%, at least in their undergraduate courses. Admissions in most colleges completed based on Tests and personal interviews.
NCHMCT JEE is a national level entrance exam organized for admission in BSc Hospitality and Hotel Administration offered by NCHMCT National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology (NCHMCT) and (IGNOU) and Indira Gandhi National Open University. Around 7000 seats are available for these courses. Hotel Management Colleges such as IHM Pusa, IHM Mumbai accept the NCHMCT JEE score. You can also give IIHM e CHAT; Best Hotel management courses do consider its rating.
Required set of skills
The applicant should have a pleasant personality with excellent communication skills. Communication is the key to all industries, and when it comes to hospitality, your guests should feel like they are being taken seriously. A candidate should be responsible, disciplined, creative, hardworking, confident, and, most important, a team player.
Hotel Management Jobs
There are different jobs in the hospitality industry. Below is the list of the most popular positions in a hotel.
- Hotel Manager: This is a managerial post; the person is in charge of the whole operation of the hotel. He is in charge of maintaining the standards of the hotel. A manager supervises everything from housekeeping to catering. His guidance and command over his staff generated the revenue for the hotel.
- Front Office Manager: A front office manager is a managerial position and is in charge of all the front office operations. He supervises receptionists, doorman, clerks, and bell boy. The front office needs to coordinate with other departments, as well.
- Housekeeping Manager: Housekeeping Manager is a managerial post, and the person supervises the maintenance of the rooms, halls, reception, the whole hotel. They also manage the cleaning supplies in the hotel.
- Food and Beverage Manager: The person is in charge of the catering department. They have to interact with the customers; they need to have in-depth knowledge of foods. This department fulfills the needs of the customers.
- Restaurant/Food Service Manager: They are in charge of food items and their stock. This department covers utensils, cutlery, furniture, ingredients for everything. They purchase, maintain, and repair all their equipment, which are used in the foodservice.
- Chef: They are experts in dishes, food, cuisines. They practice years to perfect the art of cooking. The field is continuously evolving, and the chef needs to stay updated with the trends. The manage the kitchen, kitchen finance, safety measures, and food quality.
- Banquet Manager: The person is in charge of the banquet hall; they take care that every equipment is working. There is space for every guest. The guests are welcomed warmly. They coordinate with catering and housekeeping to make an event successful.
- Steward/Stewardesses: They make sure the table is set. In hotels, the cutlery should be in the right position. They make sure the banquet hall’s furnishing is immaculate. The service should be smooth and constant.
- Floor Supervisors: They are in charge of a floor of a hotel. If anything goes wrong on the floor, they take care of it. They coordinate with the housekeeping.
Top recruiters in the Hotel industry are The Taj Group of Hotels, Oberoi group of hotels, Hyatt Hotels, ITC Group of Hotels, Accor Hotels, Marriott International, The Leela Palaces and Resorts, Courtyard by Marriott, Hilton Worldwide.
Hotel Management Colleges
Below is the list of top Hotel Management Colleges in India.
- IHM Pusa (Delhi): IHM Delhi, which is popularly known as IHM Pusa is a hotel management institute located in Delhi. The Indian Government established it in 1962. The institute can accommodate 900 students in various courses. It takes admission through NCHMCT JEE.
- Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration: (WGSHA) is a reputed college which has tie-ups with seven foreign country universities. It is recognized by IHA (International Hotel Association) Paris. To apply in this college, the student has to be a 12th standard pass out with more than 45%; the final merit list is prepared after personal interviews.
- IHM Chennai: The institute was established in 1963. It was a joint venture of the Government of Tamil Nadu and the Government of India. It takes admission through NCHMCT JEE.
- IHM Hyderabad: IHM Hyderabad was established in 1972 as a joint venture of the Government of Andra Pradesh and Government of India. The institute is under NCHMCT( National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology). It takes admission through NCHMCT JEE.
- IHM Mumbai: IHM Mumbai was established by the All India Women’s Central Food Council in 1954. It takes admission through NCHMCT JEE.
- Army Institute of Hotel Management: The institute was established in 1966 and is approved by AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education). It is affiliated to Bangalore University. The AIHM campus covers an area of 12 acres. The student intake of the institute for BHM is just 60 per year. It takes admission through AIHMCT WAT.
- Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology: The institute was established in 1999, and it is affiliated with Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi.
- IHM Bhopal: The institute was established in 1978 as Food Craft Institute, but it was later recognized as an IHM in 1986 by the Ministry of Tourism. It takes admission through NCHMCT JEE.
- IHM Gwalior: The institute was established as Food Craft Institute in 1987 but was later recognized as an IHM in 1992. The college is autonomous and was established as a joint venture of the Government of Madhya Pradesh and Government of India. It takes admission through NCHMCT JEE.
- IHM Bengaluru: The institute was established in 1969 as Food Craft Institute but later was given the status of IHM by the Indian Government and Government of Karnataka. It takes admission through NCHMCT JEE.