India is obsessed with fair skin color, which has formed unattainable beauty standards for many individuals with a wheatish and darker complexion. (1)
Let me get this straight; this article has been curated to give a more even, lighter, and glowing skin texture, making your face radiant as a sunflower.
However, it does not promote India’s obsession with light skin engraved in our system in the form of colorism, patriarchy, or residual colonialism.
Instead, if you’re looking to get rid of that tan caused by exposure to the sun and aim to get a skin that glows from inside-out, this article is perfect for you. Here are some of our best home remedies for fair skin and tips for glowing skin at home.
How to become fair – side effects of using instant fairness solution
There are multiple drugstore creams and cosmetics that claim to give you a lighter skin-tone within a given period of time. However, we are not aware that these instant skin fairness solutions might cause more harm than good for your skin, which is why you should try experimenting with home remedies for fair skin first in your ‘how to become fair journey’.
Some of the side effects of instant fairness solutions include (2):
- Thinning of the skin
- Increased visibility of the capillaries
- Unwanted facial hair growth
- Severe acne
- Discoloration of the face
- Hypersensitivity to sunlight
- Rebound paradoxical pigmentation
- Skin allergy
How to become fair skin naturally – 6 Home remedies for fair skin
Here are some of our best home remedies for fair skin that you can try to get a brighter and more evenly toned complexion from ingredients available easily at your house.
Tomatoes are abundant in potassium, magnesium, vitamin A, B & C, and also contain antioxidants.
The antioxidants and antityrosinase activities are often used to lighten skin complexion. (3)
The vitamin C in the fruit helps improve collagen and elastin production in the skin, helping make it supple and firm. (4)
How to use it as home remedies for fair skin:
- Make tomato pulp by grinding fresh tomatoes in a grinder.
- Add some lemon juice to the mixture.
- Apply the tomato paste on the skin evenly.
- Leave for 20mins.
- Wash face thoroughly with cold water.
- Repeat daily for better results.
2. Raw Milk
Raw milk is packed with vitamin A & D and lactic acid, which is amongst the popular skincare additives.
Studies show that dairy milk is known for removing dead skin cells and stimulating new cell growth, thereby revealing a brighter and fairer skin underneath. (5)
Homemade tips for fair skin with milk:
- Mix one tablespoon of raw milk (preferably full-fat milk) with honey.
- Ensure that both the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Massage the mixture on the face gently in circular motions.
- Leave for 10-15 mins.
- Wash face as usual.
Lemon contains over 6% citric acid and is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants.
Citric acid is amongst the few natural bleach agents available that serve as an excellent for discoloration and pigmentation caused by sun damage.
It may also help in reducing dark spots and blemishes on the skin.
Homemade tips for fair skin using lemon:
- Cut of a lemon and squeeze its juice.
- Add some honey into it and mix.
- Apply the mixture on the face.
- Leave till it dries.
- Wash off with cold water.
- Apply every alternate day.
Note: Direct application of lemon juice might cause irritation and rash on some skin types. Therefore, it is recommended to do a patch test before applying it to your skin.
Turmeric is a popular ingredient in Indian households and has been used for centuries as a magical ingredient for women’s glowing and fairer skin.
Turmeric contains powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties due to the presence of curcumin.
It is the perfect home remedies for fair skin, also known for skin benefits like brightening, improved skin complexion, and skin rejuvenation. (6)
Homemade tips for fair skin using turmeric:
- Add two spoons of multani mitti, one spoon yogurt, 1/2 spoon aloe vera gel, and a pinch of turmeric powder in a bowl and mix.
- Apply the paste on face evenly.
- Leave for 20 mins.
- Rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Use it 2-3 times a week.
Yogurt is amongst the best home remedies for fair skin. It is the perfect answer to your ‘how to become fair naturally’ question.
Yogurt contains zinc, calcium, lactic acid, vitamins B2, B5 & B12, which helps you get a healthier, glowing, and fairer skin. (7)
Homemade tips for fair skin using yogurt:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of unflavoured yogurt with one tablespoon of honey
- Apply the paste evenly throughout the face.
- Leave it for 15 mins.
- Wash face with cold water.
- Apply on alternate days to see quicker results.
Rosewater is known to be the top ingredient on tips for glowing skin at home.
Rosewater contains antioxidants, scavenging, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties. (8)
You can use homemade tips for fair skin using rosewater by:
- Add rose water on a cotton pad and apply directly all over your clean face and leave.
- Add one tablespoon of multani mitti and some rose water in a bowl.
- Mix to form a paste.
- Apply the paste evenly on the face.
- Let it dry.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Apply 2-3 times a week.
Some extra tips for glowing skin at home
Here are some of our exclusive tips for glowing skin at home:
- Always moisturize your face after washing.
- Eat a clean and healthy diet.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat yogurt and take probiotic supplements.
- Do not skip sunscreen ever.
Here are some of the best home remedies for fair skin that you can try right now. However, your goal should be to brighten your skin and not rushing towards getting 3 tones fairer. Remember, every color is beautiful, and your concern should be to achieve bright and glowing skin. Follow these homemade tips for fair skin and ditch the chemicals away to achieve more radiant and healthier skin.