Any ecommerce business which is making a move towards the cloud for business must have heard about different clouds like SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS. Among these three, people usually struggle to know the difference and eventually mix up with the details. Hence, we have brought an all-round example for such cloud-based systems and all the information that one needs to know about the competition between SaaS vs IaaS vs PaaS.
Many successful companies have already moved towards cloud-based systems where things can be managed efficiently and quickly. Through an analysis, approximately 24% of the enterprise work is done through SaaS-based clouds. In comparison, IaaS is being used at least around 12%, and PaaS is considered as the most popular one with usages up to 32% all around the world. Hence, we can see that PaaS is getting ahead as compared to the IaaS and SaaS in the race of clouds of PaaS vs IaaS vs SaaS.
The Main Difference & Example in SaaS vs IaaS vs PaaS
To make it easier for you to list these three leading cloud systems, we will know the critical difference, which will make the points of the PaaS, IaaS, and SaaS more apparent to us!
This cloud system is based on the factor of pay as you use services such as networking, storage, etc.
For example, systems like AWS (1), RackSpace (2), Google Computing Engine (3), etc. are the example of IaaS based cloud.
This cloud system allows companies to have access to hardware and software tools present over the internet. For example, clouds like OpenShift (4), Magento Commerce Cloud (5), etc.
This cloud-based system is available through third party users for companies over the internet. For example, cloud systems like Google Apps (6), Dropbox (7), ZenDesk (8) are some kinds of SaaS-based clouds.
To make things more clear for you, people can read the in-depth details about these cloud softwares to determine who is running ahead in the race of SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS lets read the complete detail about these clouds.
The In-Depth Details about SaaS vs IaaS vs PaaS
IaaS means Infrastructure as a Service which works as pay as you go storage network and provides users with alternatives to on-premises infrastructure such that business can avoid investing in additional on-site resources. They provide their features over the internet.
Characteristics of IaaS
- It is a flexible and scalable cloud that is very easy to use.
- More than one users can have access to it
- It is cost-efficient and worth for money
Examples, according to the Usage of Iaas.
- For non-ecommerce usages, the AWS EC2 can be used as the IaaS cloud, allowing companies to have access to scalable infrastructure and host cloud-based applications with virtual servers.
- For eCommerce usage, Magento 1 Enterprise Edition can be used depending upon merchants’ will to choose of host for their stores. People can pay for the hosting plan that suits their needs and work without paying physical servers.
Also known as Platform as a Service, PaaS provides both hardware and software tools over the internet, and people can access them to develop applications according to their needs. PaaS is also delivered and performed over the internet.
Characteristics of PaaS
- More than one person can access this cloud
- It is built over the virtualization technology.
- The usage of PaaS does not needs much administration knowledge and is not an extensive system.
Example of PaaS
- For non-commercial usages, the Amazon Web Service can be used to offer 100 cloud computing services such as EC2, RDS, and S3. Although it may be difficult to manage different users of different companies and can become time-consuming.
- For commercial usage, people can have access to Magento Commerce Cloud, which is used by large companies worldwide and has a scoping process to determine the user’s needs and bundle their monthly plan.
It is also known as Software as a service and is available for users over the internet over a nominal monthly subscription. With this cloud, one does not need to download applications of other softwares on your computer; people can have access to everything just with their internet. It is simple to set up, and out of the box, ideas are produced through the functioning of SaaS.
Characteristics of Saas
- It is available on the internet
- The third-party networks host saaS
- It is available differently for large or small scale businesses.
Example of SaaS
SaaS is mainly used for ecommerce and has different functionings. The best example for SaaS-based software is BigCommerce, which can be used by companies who want to roll out for users and regular updates.
As all of the features of Saas vs IaaS vs PaaS have been mentioned above with the necessary details, one can conclude that every cloud has some of its specialty and is incomparable. Although, if one has to go for the best one, the order can be arranged like this, IaaS> PaaS> SaaS. Even though this arrangement has been made, but one should never overlook the demands of the company and the things that are necessary for them. With proper analysis, one can determine which one can be considered as the best to use!