Millennials are slowly transitioning to startup jobs because it provides them a perfect opportunity to gain something more than just doing work. On the other hand, GenX workers were thriving for career performance more than anything else.
Startup jobs can be a little bit intimidating in the beginning if you’re just starting your career.
So, in this article, we’re going to talk all about startup jobs in India.
1. What is a startup?
“A startup is a human institution designed to develop new products and services without knowing whether it will fail or succeed- that is uncertainty.”
It is a risky or undertaking journey, started by its founders around some innovative idea or situation with a potential business opportunity.
For a startup to get successful, it needs an innovative idea and a potential funding team, and a committed team to grow it into a real business.
The term startup is related to businesses having high growth potentials and is technologically oriented.
Some startups struggle to get financial funding, which makes them unique from others. It’s because investors are finding companies with high potential returns on investments.
Now, you must be wondering why startup jobs are trending nowadays?
2. Why are startup jobs trending in India?
When it comes to trends, startups are growing and not going away. Basically, it’s a process of building and growing a company. And growth has never harmed anyone!
In the last 10 years, a lot has changed in the corporate world. People don’t seem to like 9-5 jobs anymore. The conventional job structure has changed drastically. Creative people thrive for more than just doing their work. Millennials favor the Scandinavian approach, that is, work whenever they want, as per their schedule. This helps them be more productive, as some people are night owls, they feel unproductive in the morning. So the night time works the best for them.
The other reason for the growth of startups is that many students are now dropping out of their universities. The massive surge in university fees has forced many students to leave it and start their careers at the earliest.
When these graduates look for starting their businesses, they find it cheap than ever. Cloud services are inexpensive and hence make it accessible to everyone.
With the startup industry set to flourish, startups may become the face of entrepreneurship over the years. The truth has already acknowledged the creation of apps that have grown into successful businesses.
3. What are the advantages of joining a startup?
Would you rather have been making coffee and running errands at Google when it merely 20 employees, or working under one of those hundreds of tellers at some big multinational company for 12+ hours a day sitting on the same seat and working non stop?
Thinking of your career just to get those titles and jobs can be dangerous. Think more about skills and trends.
- Your failures become your success: Failure of startups is typical. But if the company fails, it doesn’t mean that you failed! If you spend more time on the company, who knows it might succeed after 2 years? Getting a job in business development at another startup after failing is easier than changing jobs in the corporate world.
- Fun guaranteed!: It’s not always a chill scene, but it’s pretty cool to a part of an organization that is just growing because as they grow, you grow.
- The company’s growth is your growth: When the company is growth-oriented, they have no choice but to demand change from its members.
- You’ll learn all time: At the beginning of your career, you should be focusing more on learning than earning. Getting big salaries by just repeating the same tasks, again and again, will benefit you nothing more than financial gains. As I said, startups are growth-oriented so that you will learn every time!
- You’ll be surrounded by passionate members: startups have more dynamic, hardworking, and talented people than regular ones.
4. Startup vs. Corporate Job: What should you choose?
- Structure: MNCs have a well-developed system with a large number of members. They pay better and assure job security. On the other hand, startups are just establishing, so it may be much more competitive and challenging.
- Growth: Startups consists of people with passion. If you’re seeking something extraordinary and career growth, then startups can be the right choice. MNCs are already established, so you won’t see much career growth there.
- Learning: Startups push your career to another level as you learn something productive each day. You can use your abilities and skills to solve the problems and gain the maximum output. Whereas in MNCs, internal and career growth is deficient.
- Stability: MNCs provide better job security than startups. But in MNCs, transparency is less as the CEO makes all the significant decisions. In startups, the CEO works with the workers, so there’s full transparency.
So, startups look better right?
Working in startups can be intimidating initially, but as time passes by, you’ll see immense growth in your career.
4. Best startups in India (As of 2020)
India has 1.3 billion people who are increasing the economy rapidly. With the popularity of startups, India has grown immensely in the private as well as public sectors. Indian startups have kickstarting with the advancement of new innovative technologies.
Here a list of top Indian startups with total funds received by companies in the US in $:
- InCred: $187.5mn
- Cars24: $193.8mn
- Mu Sigma: $228.4mn
- Meesho: $215.8mn
- Billdesk: $241.2mn
- LendingKart: $242.5mn
- CarDekho: $247.5mn
- Rivigo: $257.4mn
- Blackbuck: $297mn
- Pine Labs: $310.8mn
- InMobi: $320.6mn
- PharmEasy: $328.5mn
- CureFit: $404.6mn
- FirstCry: $418.4mn
5. Thinking of joining a startup? Consider these 5 points.
- Employer expectations: It usually works with a few resources at the start of it; the startup usually makes fair use of each available resource, which generally includes a set of different obligations. Therefore, before joining a company in the first stage, it is essential to know your job description and key outcome areas. Items such as job titles, desk assignments, and project plans are frequently changed. Therefore, those who do not like misunderstandings should stay away from the beginning. Even if you feel like going beyond the KRAs can talk to the founders, especially the CEO, discuss your company’s role. Co-operation will provide greater clarity of what the employer expects of you.
- The founders’ background: Before you consider joining the startup, check the domain for the founders. Please pay close attention to their industry skills, academic knowledge, network, skills and experience, awards they receive, and many more. You need to look at how the founders invested in the beginning. These essentials can be evaluated in direct collaboration with the founders or those already working in the company. You can also use Google to track a group of leaders. You also need to learn how employers handle situations when things are out of the box. All of this can help to prove that they can be successful in the future.
- Financial resources: One of the most important things to consider when joining a startup is money. Where does the money come from? Either startup is business supported, and there are millions in their bank account or tied to the boot. It’s essential to inquire about supportive investors to start looking at whether they offer financial guarantee even during the worst phase. A startup based on a stable, reliable set of investors is more likely to succeed than without it. Also, investors do a lot of research before investing in a business. Therefore, a start with reputable sponsors who support us financially may have prospects for real growth.
- Performance phase: Life is about taking risks. There are very few rewards in life that you can gain without risking anything. If you want it, look for it but don’t see it. It doesn’t mean you don’t do the math before you attempt it. Check out the startup section you are thinking of joining right now, and joining a startup business that does not have a market and does not have the money to fund seed could indicate gambling. Whereas, if the startup has gotten the first pull of its product, it can be an excellent time to get in with a growing number of customers.
- Tired of long working hours: The founder, interested in his startup, is under a lot of pressure to post a product and start making money. If you are under such pressure and do not go as fast as you want, the simple solution is working long hours. In other words, starting in a fast workplace where employees are encouraged to work as hard as possible. Therefore, those who work in a balanced lifestyle can find this feature troubling.
6. KillerLaunch – Your ultimate startup jobs finder:
KillerLaunch provides you a unique platform where you can apply to 100+ startup jobs. With internships and job opportunities, KillerLaunch also gives you a chance to interact with verified startup owners.
At KillerLaunch, we provide you startup jobs and startup internships so that college students can also get exposure to it. If they like, they can later turn it into a career opportunity.
Just enter the details about your academic and professional background and your preferences. The resume will get you along with a rocket speed!
So visit KillerLaunch.com today!
In this article, we saw how startups can be beneficial for your career from the beginning and how they can provide a kick start your career.
So, start looking for startups near you and give it a chance!