- Top 10 instant earache remedies
Everyone would have experienced earache at some point in their lives. Ear infections can be excruciating and stressful. But, earache remedies doesn’t necessarily mean you have to take antibiotics. Earaches have become very typical as most of the people, especially children, and teenagers have become prone to it. Luckily, not all earaches and other ear infections are bacterial or need any kind of prescription medications. There are a lot of earache remedies that you can follow in the comfort of your home. Here are the top ten effective earache remedies for you.
Top 10 instant earache remedies:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers: According to the American Academy of Pediatrics(1), this is one of the most effective earache remedies. Pain relievers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen taken to control and reduce earaches or any painful ear infections. These pain relievers can be used with or without antibiotics, but it is essential to follow the instructions mentioned. But, it is advised to talk with your doctor if the patient is a child. The doctor then decided on the appropriate dosage.
- Warm or cold compresses: Ice and heat packs are very common pain relievers and earache remedies. Many people use a heating pad or a damp washcloth to reduce the pain. This same procedure can be followed in an earache too. Applying heat pads or ice packs is perfectly safe for children and adults. According to the instructions, the patient should alternate both ice packs and heat pads after regular intervals of ten minutes.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is considered as one of the most effective home remedies for earaches. This leans a bit over to folk remedy. This is because there is no substantial evidence that Olive oil relieves earache and other pains. But, applying a few drops of olive oil can soothe ear pain. But, it is advised to discuss this with your doctor, especially if it’s for children. It is crucial to make sure that the olive oil is no warmer than the child’s body temperature.
- Naturopathic drops: Naturopathic ear drops are one of the most popular earache remedies. These are made from herbal extracts that had high medicinal values. These drops can be found online in many stores and even in some drug stores. According to a study, it is found that these Naturopathic drops containing herbal extracts mixed with olive oil could be as effective as Over-the-counter ear drops.
- Chiropractic treatment: If you visit a chiropractor regularly for adjustments, then you may find that an appointment with a chiropractor might be the best remedy for your earache. A study involving 46 children under the age of five found that approximately 93 percent showed drastic improvements following a chiropractic adjustment.
- Sleep without applying pressure on the year: According to a report, some sleep positions that involve using force on a year aggravates your earache and ear infections. Hence, it is better to sleep with the affected ear raised and not facing downside towards the pillow. This reduces the pain to a certain extent. It is possible to sleep with your head elevated by using some extra pillows too.
- Neck exercises: Neck exercises proved to be one of the best earache remedies. This is because the pressure causes most of the earaches in the ear canal. Hence, a few neck exercises might help in reducing the pain. Neck rotation exercises are one of the most effective pain-relieving exercises. Follow these steps to perform the exercise:
- Sir straight with both feet on the ground.
- Slowly rotate your neck and head to your right until your head is parallel with the shoulder.
- Now, rotate your head to the other side.
- Raise your shoulders high and try to cover your ears with your shoulders.
- Make the movements slowly, and repeat these steps for at least five times a day.
- Ginger: Ginger comes with natural anti-inflammatory and pain reliever properties. Hence, this can help you by soothing the earache and ear infections. Apply ginger juice, or even strained oil, which is earned with ginger in it, on and around your outer ear canal. Do not apply it directly to the ear.
- Garlic: Just like ginger, garlic also comes with anti-inflammatory and pain reliever properties. This makes it one of the most effective earache remedies. Soak some crushed garlic for a while in warm olive or even sesame oil. After it is completely soaked, strain the garlic out and apply it into the ear canal. This gives your instant relief from the ache.
- Hydrogen peroxide: Hydrogen peroxide has been used as a remedy for earaches for many generations. This is very effective. To use this method, place or apply a few drops of Hydrogen peroxide into the affected ear. Let it settle down for several minutes before working a miracle. After an hour, rinse your ear with clean and distilled water.