For a woman, being a bridesmaid at your best friend’s wedding is one of the most special experiences of her life. The other day I was setting up my vanity and other items for my wardrobe for my friend’s wedding in a few days. One glance at the mirror & I was as annoyed as ever. Whenever something important comes up, a pimple pops right out, giving you a good time to scream in front of the mirror.
Finding how to get rid of pimples, especially on days like these, when your entire day gets wasted on Googling ‘how to get rid of pimples’. In this article, we’ll be discussing the top 15 easy yet powerful home remedies for your at-home acne treatment. These home remedies have been used for ages by our ancestors, which has now been passed onto our generation.
Note: If you’re someone with a serious acne skin problem, kindly visit a professional dermatologist to get the right acne treatment for your kind of acne problem.
How To Get Rid Of Pimples: 15 Easy & Powerful Home Remedies
1. Zinc Supplement
Zinc is a vital nutrient that plays a crucial role in cell growth, hormone production, metabolism & immunity function.
Studies show that people dealing with acne problems tend to have lower levels of zinc in their blood compared to those with clear skin. (1)
Zinc contains antioxidants that might impact acne and help fight against acne naturally.
The types of acne that zinc might help with as an acne treatment are:
Therefore, you can consume zinc supplements under the supervision of a medical doctor (maximum 40mg per day).
Note: Applying zinc to the skin has not shown any effective results.
2. Apply Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is regarded as a miracle elixir by many of its holistic health benefits, including weight loss, hair revival, and acne treatment.
Jeffrey Fromowitz, MD, FAAD, a Florida-based dermatologist, says, “Apple cider vinegar contains organic acids—lactic, succinic, and citric acids—that may kill P. acnes, a skin bacteria that is one of many contributing factors to acne breakouts.” (4)
To use apple cider vinegar in your ‘how to get rid of pimples; journey:
- Dilute ACV with water (1 part APV + 3 parts water or more)
- Cleanse your face
- Apply the ACV mixture like a toner using a cotton pad
- Let it sit for 5-20 secs.
- Rinse with water & pat dry face
- Repeat 1 to 2 mines a day
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera contains salicylic acid and sulfur that aid in acne treatment and is used widely in lotions, ointments, creams, and soaps. (5)
If you have an aloe vera plant at your house, you can use the gel by scraping it out of its stems directly on your skin, keep it overnight, and wash it the next morning.
You can also use aloe vera gel for acne treatment by (6):
- Add 8 part of aloe vera gel with 1 part of lemon juice.
- Mix it generously
- Apply it evenly on your face (leaving sensitive eye area)
- Leave 10-15 min
- Wash thoroughly & pat dry
In case you do not have an aloe vera plant at your house, you can also buy pure aloe vera gel from the store.
4. Honey and Cinnamon Mask
Raw honey is known for its gentle exfoliating and strong microbial properties that work in naturally healing acne scars, lesson blemishes & aiding in keeping the skin wrinkle-free and supple. (7)
Cinnamon is also known for its anti-inflammation properties, and the mixture of the two is known to fight bacteria & reduce inflammation, being the two largest factors that trigger acne.
Here’s how the honey & cinnamon mask helps in your ‘how to get rid of pimples’ journey,
- Mix 2 tablespoon with one teaspoon of cinnamon
- Mix to form a paste
- Apply evenly on a clean face
- Leave for 10-15 mins.
- Rinse the mask with water & pat dry
5. Turmeric, Cinnamon, Honey & Lemon Spot Treatment
Turmeric is one of the vital ingredients found in every Indian household and is known for its super antibacterial and healing acne properties. (8)
To create the perfect mixture for acne treatment using a spot treatment technique,
- Mix 1 tablespoon turmeric with one teaspoon cinnamon & half squeezed lemon.
- Add one tablespoon of raw honey to the mixture.
- Mix until a paste-like consistency
- Apply directly on pimples using an earbud
6. Tea Tree & Coconut Oil
Tea tree oil is used externally for various conditions like acne treatment, cuts, insect bites, and more because of its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. (9)
Coconut oil, on the other hand, is known for skin barrier repair, antibacterial effect, anti-inflammatory effect, and antioxidant effect. (10)
Follow the steps below using these magical ingredients for acne treatment:
- Add two tablespoons of melted coconut oil to 2-3 drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply on pimples using a cotton bud
Note: Tea tree oil can cause rash and irritation on the skin if applied directly. Ensure you use it with a pairing agent to avoid skin irritation.
Warning: If you have oily skin, this might not be the best acne remedy for you as coconut oil might clog the pores
7. Apply Green Tea
Green tea contains antioxidants that are awesome for our overall health.
Most of us drink green tea and a calming beverage, but it can also be used as a face mask on your ‘how to get rid of pimples’ journey.
To make your green tea face mask on your ‘how to get rid of pimples’ journey:
- Empty a bag of green tea in a bowl
- Add a tablespoon or two of hot water.
- Once the mixture cools down (after 3-5minutes) add aloe vera gel
- Mix it thoroughly
- Apply directly on pimples or the entire face as preferred
8. Apply Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is extracted from the barks & leaves of witch hazel scrub and contains tannins, known for its strong antibacterial & anti-inflammatory properties. (11)
Although there aren’t any particular studies that show the effect of witch hazel on acne treatment, there are some that showcases its ability to fight bacteria and help with healing.
Here’s how to get rid of pimples using witch hazel,
- Mix 1 tablespoon of witch hazel bark with 1 cup of water
- Soak for 30 mins
- Boil the mixture and reduce to simmer & cook covered for next 10 mins
- Remove from stove & let the mixture cool for 10 mins.
- Strain the mixture and store in a sealed container
- Apply to clean skin or on acne spots 1-2 times per day using cotton
9. Spot Treatment with Garlic
Garlic contains antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and antiseptic properties and can be used for how to get rid of pimples using spot treatment.
Garlic also helps to reduce swelling and inflammation and is beneficial for the skin as it improves blood circulation.
Here’s how to get rid of pimples with the use of garlic spot acne treatment:
- Crush to garlic cloves to form a paste-like consistency
- Add a few drops of rose water.
- Apply 1 to 2 times a day using a cotton bud, directly on the pimples to get rid of them quickly
10. Take Omega-3 Supplements
Fish oil supplements contain omega-3 fatty acids that are known for its overall health benefits.
Although the best way to consume fatty acids is through food items like fish and flaxseed (12), it can be challenging to incorporate it into our diet, considering our daily eating habits. In this case, consuming omega-3 supplements is the best option, helping to reduce the risk of acne.
Some other food items where you can find omega-3 fatty acids are:
- chia seeds
11. Spot Treatment with Baking Soda
Baking soda is a natural exfoliant that helps in neutralizing the PH level of the skin, thereby helping depuff any swollen areas.
However, the one thing that you should keep in mind while using baking soda in your how to get rid of pimples acne treatment journey is that it should only be 1-2 times max per week.
Here’s how to get rid of pimples using baking soda,
- Mix 2 teaspoons of baking soda with some water
- Form a paste-like consistency
- Apply directly on pimples and acne using a cotton bud
- Leave for 15-20 mins.
- Wash off thoroughly with water & pat dry
12. Eliminate dairy from the diet
Studies show that a higher level of milk consumption has been associated with acne. (13)
Although it is a highly controversial topic, eliminating milk products from your diet might help you get rid of the hormonal changes that cause acne due to dairy consumption.
13. Aspirin to Your Rescue
Aspirin is your magic medicine when it comes to acne treatment.
As Aspirin contains salicylic acid, which is a top-shelf acne fighter, it helps alleviate inflammatory acne. (14)
Here’s how to get rid of pimples using Aspirin:
- Crush 1 Asprin tablets to form a powder
- Mix it with one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and some honey
- Mix the ingredients and apply using a cotton bud on the pimples for spot treatment
- Leave overnight and wash the next day for the best results.
14. Jojoba oil
Jojoba oil is a natural, waxy substance extracted from the seeds of the jojoba shrub.
The waxy substances found in jojoba oil may help to repair damaged skin, meaning it may also help speed up wound healing, including acne lesions.
To use jojoba oil for acne treatment,
- Mix a few drops of the jojoba oil with gel or cream
- Apply on acne
- Apply jojoba oil directly on the acne spots using a cotton bud
15. Sandalwood & Mint Mask
Sandalwood holds antiseptic properties that help prevent acne, sores, and pimples from developing.
Mint contains a high amount of salicylic acid, an active ingredient found in many skin care products. Mint helps reduce acne scars and also contains antioxidants that heal and revitalize skin.
To make a sandalwood mint mask for your face:
- Add two tablespoons of powdered sandalwood in a bowl
- Crush & grind some mint leaves and add it to sandalwood
- Add some rosewater or milk.
- Mix to form a paste-like consistency
- Apply on face and leave until dry
- Wash face thoroughly & pat dry
Here were our top 15 easy yet powerful tips on how to get rid of pimples using home remedies. One thing that you must note is that some of the methods written above have been used by each one of us at some point in our lives, and while it may work wonders for some, it might not do anything for others. Also, if there’s any substance from the above-written list that you have never used before, try running a patch test to check if you’re not allergic to the product.