What happens when you live in a mafia ruled town of Mirzapur, where every decision takes place at gunpoint? Mirzapur, an Indian crime series, is a fictional thriller set in the present-day cities and areas of Uttar Pradesh that somewhat resembles the plot of Gangs of Wasseypur. However, the dreary drama is not able to uphold the strong ground it sets in its Pilot episode.
Directed by Karan Anshuman, Mirzapur is Amazon Prime‘s third original Indian web series that never ventures beyond its familiar terrain. The stereotyped narrative with immensely violent and sensitive scenes often forces you to shut your eyes whenever a gruesome scene arrives. Nevertheless, despite having a regressive style, the story is successful in keeping the audience hooked to the next scene.
Mirzapur: The critiques disaster doesn’t fail to entertain the audiences
The Pandit brothers Guddu (Ali Faizal) and Bablu (Vikrant Massey) are two sides of the same coin. While Bablu has a more peaceful outlook towards life, Guddu tends to feel more powerful with a gun in his hands. After a whirlwind of events, the brother-duo end up joining Kaleen Bhaiya’s (Pankaj Tripathi) criminal empire into establishing a thriving business of illegally manufactured ammunitions.
The cheap, locally manufactured guns emerge out of any place any time, be it milk cans, vegetable carts, and even at shops selling condiments like lassi. Each episode ends with a cliffhanger making the audience watch the entire series in a go, out of curiosity.
Nonetheless, the reckless behavior displaying the use of alcohol, drugs, and violence sometimes looks like the main plot of the Mirzapur web series. The 9 episodes series also revolves around themes of toxic masculinity and how it destroys men. While Munna (Divyendu Sharma) showcases a selfish, unworthy, and power-hungry son who will do anything to inherit his father’s legacy, Guddu represents a muscular bellicose who starts losing his mind once he starts killing.
Here’s what you’ll witness in the 9 episode run of Mirzapur (don’t worry, no spoilers ahead):
- Episode 1: The pilot episode introduces the main characters of the show displaying how a shocking incident leads to a series of events, entangling the lives of two families in the lawless city of Mirzapur
- Episode 2: The brother-duo Guddu and Bablu make life-altering choices that would change the face of Mirzapur, for both
- Episode 3: The criminal world doesn’t come without testing loyalties.
- Episode 4: Kaleen twists and tests the bond between the two brothers, leading them down to a path with no return
- Episode 5: This one dramatizes the functioning and expansion of illegal trade with police cooperation
- Episode 6: What happens when the mafia heads of Purvanchal meet?
- Episode 7: Guddu and Babalu have settled in their professional and personal lives, but is this time to rethink the future?
- Episode 8: The episode builds up for the climax that unloads in the season finale
- Episode 9: Time to prove who’s the boss!
Mirzapur Season 2: Will the wait be wo?
It has almost been two years since the release of the Gangster-based story Mirzapur. The last episode ends on a shocking note leaving the audience thrilled and astonished, allowing them to analyze and build theories as to what the next season would comprise. However, sadly, the Mirzapur fan base that has been waiting for the Mirzapur 2 release date have almost lost track of time by now. The show was rumored to be releasing the first half of 2020, but the same has not been confirmed yet.